The Computer History Museum seeks two high-energy individuals for the position of Cataloger to expand the Museum's successful Collection Cataloging and Reconciliation Project under an IMLS Museums for America grant. The Catalogers' primary responsibilities are to complete the cataloging of Museum's hardware and ephemera collection and to train volunteer catalogers for the project under the direction of the Registrar.
The Computer History Museum, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is a unique and exciting institution which is home to the largest collection of computer related objects in the world. The Museum's vision is to explore the computing revolution and its impact on human experience. The Museum's collection includes more than 20,000 pieces of computer hardware and ephemera, 20,000 photographs, 5,000 films and videos, 5,000 software titles and 4,000 linear feet of documentation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recording detailed information about items in the Museum’s hardware and ephemera collection
- Capturing digital identification photographs of collection items
- Preparing digital identification photographs of collection items for inclusion in collections database
- Handling and storing items in the hardware and ephemera collection
- Conducting basic provenance research on collection items using Museum records
- Supervision and training of interns and volunteers assisting with the cataloging
- Quality control of collection database records
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications, Attributes and Skills:
- Masters in Museum Studies or Library Science with Archival emphasis.
- Experience cataloguing in a museum or library setting (internship experience will be considered).
- Knowledge of collections management processes.
- Trained in artifact handling.
- Detail-oriented and ability to be flexible.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a diverse group of people
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proficiency with Windows and Microsoft office software.
- Ability to lift 30 lb.
- Must work one Saturday per month
Preferred Qualifications, Attributes and Skills:
- Experience working with volunteers in a museum setting.
- Proficiency with Mimsy XG collections management software and Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience with digital photography.
The position of Cataloger is currently funded for a maximum of two-years. There are two part time positions available that includes a competitive benefits package including Health, and Dental Insurance. The Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To Apply for This Position:
Please send cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com